We’re excited to share that our first AVS Middle School Garden Cooking classes were a huge success! Students learned how to plan, prepare, and create a healthy and delicious meal from scratch. For their final assignment, students were required to cook an entire meal for their families. Each of our student’s recipes will be compiled into our first AVS Community Cookbook, which will be shared school-wide by Spring 2016. Here are a couple samples from our recipe book from Noah S. (5th grade) and Isabelle L. (6th grade). Bon appétit!
Noah’s Spring Rolls
Ingredients: (Everything should be organic.)
Peanut Sauce (optional)
- One garlic clove
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- Water (If needed)
- 1 and a half pieces of Ginger (peeled)
- ¼ or 12teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cut lettuce, cucumbers and ice berg salad into small pieces.
- Put lettuce, cucumbers, ice berg salad, rice roll wrappers and shredded carrots on different plates on your table.
- Put warm water on table.
Tip: I would recommend putting rice rolls close to warm water, so you can make the skin of the spring rolls quicker rolls
Peanut sauce (optional)
- Put the garlic cloves and ginger in a blender and blend.
- Take the garlic cloves and ginger and put it in a medium bowl.
- Add peanut butter, brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Add water if needed to thin.
- Put peanut sauce in table.
Isabelle’s Blackberry Scrap Bin
This recipe I am proud to call my own. I thought it up when I was making something with filo dough and I had a bunch of scraps. We also had fresh blackberries in the house. This delicious blackberry pastry is one of my favorite desserts and I hope you enjoy it .You can pair it with anything from ice cream to whip cream. Enjoy.
Fill Roll Scraps, Blackberries, Sugar, Butter
What To do
- Make a butter sugar sauce
- Roll wax paper out on a pan
- layer the scraps on the pan putting the butter and sugar sauce between the layers of scraps
- Cut the blackberries in half
- After you have finished putting all the scraps together put the blackberries in and sprinkle sugar on top
- bake at 350F until the dish get Brown and gooey
- take the dish out and let it cool